Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Play Queue Bounty

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:30:10 +1000, Jonathan Matthew
<jonathan kaolin hn org> wrote:
> The queue display can be manually resized by dragging the handle
> separating it from the playlist/library display, the same way the
> browser panel can be resized.  I don't think it's worthwhile trying to
> have it automatically resize itself.

It shouldn't resize itself, but it should remember its size when it's
shown/hidden. And it should automatically show/hide when it's gets the
first entry or it gets empty.

> I think the answer to all of these, as far as this approach is
> concerned, is to add another expander thing like the show/hide browser
> one in the same row as it, and have the queue expand above it, rather than
> below.  Screenshots/mockups to follow, assuming I can get it to work.

That sounds perfect.

> I have to say that the 'queue is just another source' approach is
> looking better all the time, but we'll see how this one works out.

I've watched a lot of non-experienced users use iTunes, which has the
Party Shuffle feature, which is practically the same, and I haven't
seen a single person EVER use the Party Shuffle. They just don't get
it. I think that having the queue in the main window is much easier to
understand for newbies. People that use MusicMatch Jukebox get it, and
it works in a similar way (although it's more of a playlist than a
queue, it still sits above the music library).

And for more experienced users, it would save a lot of clicking back and forth.