Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Importing DB from iTunes

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 11:49 +0200, Jaime LÃpez wrote:
> I'm doing a program to import iTunesDB and iTunes Music folder, from
> the XML to a rhythmdb.xml file.
>
> Now it does a full dump of the DB translating locations from the
> original DB to a new mount point containing the full collection.

One thing to watch out for: Rhythmbox expects location URIs to be in a
canonical form, which is that returned by gnome_vfs_escape_path_string -
namely every "special" character except '/', '&', '=', and '?' being
escaped.

If a URI is in a different form it will work, but you might get
duplicates showing up in the library.

> Probably integrating it into Rhythmbox will be easy, and maybe useful
> to first time users trying to migrate their collections from Windows
> (as me). There's also planning a sync option to merge both DB's.

We could probably have a "Import iTunes Library" menu item, and also ask
about it in the first-run druid.

> I don't want to duplicate efforts (I suppose iTunesDB is supported
> somewhere, at least for the iPod management), so if somebody find it
> useful I can submit a patch.

Is the iPod-db the same format as the iTunes-db? If so, it should be
easy to add import support to Rhythmbox.

I imagine other people would find it useful, so feel free to post a
patch.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
You're trying to trick me into being intelligent. It won't work.
    -- dpm in the monastry