Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: portable audio players and rhythmbox

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 13:45 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On 10/19/05, James Livingston <jrl ids org au> wrote:
> > That's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure whether HAL indicates
> > whether they are "mass-storage, and just copy files" or "mass-storage,
> > db need to be updated".
> >
> > If it does indicate the difference, that this becomes much easier. If
> > not we can still add generic write support, and add special casing when
> > people complain that it doesn't work.
>
> In the case of iPods at least I think it detects them pretty well. If
> I plug my iPod it gets an iPod icon whereas if I plug in a generic USB
> mass storage device I get a generic icon. Not sure whether this is hal
> or gnome-vfs2 and whether it actually shares that info or just keeps
> it to itself although from what I've read they're trying to handle
> this better so they can handle things like music players and cameras
> better so we could probably use that effort.

Detecting audio players shouldn't be a problem with HAL, nor is support
playback for any player that is a mass-storage device. The two issues
are:

1) supporting players that aren't mass-storage

If there is an existing access library (as is the case for iRivers,
Nomad Jukeboxes, etc) then all we need to someone with access to such a
player, and a bit of programming ability, to hook it up. It doesn't
matter much if they don't have experience with developing RB, because we
can help them.

2) write/sync support for mass-storage players

As I've said, I don't think HAL tells us whether it is a "copy tracks
and it works" player or if it has a db we need to update. If HAL doesn't
do this, we should probably ask if it can be added.

What I'm thinking is that we could assume that it's a "copy tracks and
it works" player unless we know otherwise, and have people complain if
it doesn't work - then we can add their player to the list of ones that
need special handling.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's
a knob called `brightness', but it doesn't work." -- Gallagher