[Rhythmbox-devel] radio

some notes about radio - wanted to discuss them together before filing as bugs

(1) time displayed in a tray icon's hint is some random "garbage", no?
not that radio time is relevant

(2) rb sees new songs on radios that send that information (btw how is
that done? is radio stream a single stream that just has tags packet
now and then, or is it a cat of streams?) Would have been nice if a
tray bubble with new song info appeared when new song's detected.

(3) if i drag an url onto rb and then play the radio it would discover
the title / genre. if I add the radio via menu it asks me to enter
them and won't even procede if i enter no title. i find that somewhat
inconsistent

(4) my radios list is ordered by title. after i dragged a bunch of
urls onto rb it sorted by url (because their titles were urls) and
then if i play radio its title is discovered and it gets resorted,
which is OK. but then the list selection stays at the old radio
position selecting some other radio, which I find a bit confusing. but
in fact I'd like them be ordered by url without url being visible
(handy for keeping soma.fm radios together ;-))

(5) all radios in my list treat "genre" field as a sort of fuzzy space
delimited list. fuzzy because "Drum and Bass Jungle" is a list of two
entries. this clutters the genres list and more important makes it
pretty useless as each "genre" ends up representing singe radio. [I
use search atm to deal with that]. May be something could be done with
genres to solve this? will musicbrainz support address this maybe? I
don't have suggestions here.

(6) not really rb issue, but where do annoying squeeks on all di.fm
channels come from? some problem with gstreamer? some compression
errors? i never hear them when listening with xmms or realplayer.

cheers,
artm