Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] DBus Interface for database querying

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 11:27 +0100, Raphael Slinckx wrote:
> James Livingston wrote:
> > Enhancing the DBus interface, with support for queries and the like
> > would be very useful though. Effectively it would mean that you can
> > create an alternate UI, by asking Rhythmbox to start with it's window
> > hidden and controlling it via DBus. It wouldn't be an actual split into
> > front-end and back-end, but from the users point of view it would be
> > equivalent.
>
> A bit offtopic with the initial thread, but still related:
> Do you think it would be possible to have a dbus interface to search
> rhythmbox database remotely ?
>
> I'm asking for example along with the deskbar applet, i could type an
> artist name or song title, query rhythmbox, it returns some matches, and
> i can then play the songs by selecting one in the list.
>
> That would require something like
> search(string, max results) -> (artist, title, uri)*
> play(uri) which i beleive already exists.

Artem mentioned the idea of being able to search the Rhythmbox database
with the deskbar applet. I haven't done anything with DBus before, so I
only know the general ideas, but it should definitely be possible.

The question is what level we should do it at, the simple search you
have above, full RhythmDB queries, or both. The simple search would be a
lot easier to implement, but not anywhere near as powerful as queries.
Perhaps doing the simple searches now, and adding queries later would be
an option.

Hopefully someone who knows more about DBus will have some ideas.

Cheers

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"Huh ?" -- MPW C error message