[Rhythmbox-devel] Can we make Rhythmbox respect GNOME's music audio sink

Hello:

I just upgraded to Ubuntu Edgy, and, alas, my music ends up on my tiny
system speakers rather than on the mighty sound system for music and
films. The good news is that GNOME now has a very easily configurable
system setting for music output in
gconf: /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink . The question is how
we can get Rhythmbox to respect this setting and to send its music there
rather than to /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink .

If Rhythmbox is compiled with Gstreamer 0.8 it creates the output sink
with gst_gconf_get_default_audio_sink(), which takes a profile as an
argument. For that case, the problem should be easy enough to fix by
passing the code for the "music" profile. However, when compiled with
Gstreamer 0.10, Rhythmbox creates the output sink with
gst_element_factory_make ("gconfaudiosink", "audiosink") and I couldn't
find any documentation on this call that would explain how to use the
musicaudiosink--could it be as easy as replacing the last argument with
"musicaudiosink"?

I know directing Rhythmbox's output to a specific sound card was discussed
here before, but with GConf now providing a specific setting that already
does the job for us, we should really do it. I'd be happy to submit a
patch (which should be trivial), but I don't really understand the
gst_element_factory_make call and how to get it to do what I want.

Best,

      Oliver