[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: importing mp3

HS> louisg00 bellsouth net wrote:
>> I'm running fedora rawhide with rhythmbox 0.9.2.cvs20060123. I
>> can't import any mp3. I get an error saying: this file is not an
>> audio stream.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? -Louis
>>

HS> What you're doing wrong is running Fedora. :) Actually, I'm
HS> guessing you need to install the gstreamer plugins for mp3 which
HS> don't ship with Fedora by default.  I assume this is a fresh
HS> Fedora install?

HS> I have some info somewhere on how to use yum to get all of the
HS> needed plugins\codec for Fedora Core 4. Let me know if you need
HS> more info.  Thanks Haran

Install the Livna packages from FC-4 (note that he is running Rawhide,
which is bleeding edge), which are configured to work with Fedora
Extras and Core, instructions are here:

http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html#Core4

Basically install the livna release file as root:

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release4.rpm

Then (as root):

 yum install gstreamer-plugins-mp3

Since you are running Rawhide, this may not work because these
packages are from FC-4 and I don't think the Livna folk have rebuilt
their packages for Rawhide (soon-to-be FC-5) yet.  Sometimes they do
work fine unmodified depending on the state of Rawhide, so YMMV.

A.