Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Patches for discussion

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:17:42 +1100
James Livingston <doclivingston gmail com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 00:44 +0100, Karsten Schmiedecke wrote:
> >
> > [Restore visibility on startup]
>
> Rhythmbox is one of the better behaving apps in this regard, and
> mostly deals with that already:
> * if started with no notification area, Rhythmbox will never be
> hidden.
> * if started when running in the NA, RB will show itself.
> * if the NA disappears (removed, panel crashed) Rhythmbox will unhide
> the window
> * if the NA re-appears (e.g. panel restarts) RB will automatically
> reinsert the tray icon.
>
> Barring any bugs in the code, RB should never get into a state when
> the window is hidden and not have a tray icon. The NA isn't currently
> keyboard-accessible, but if RB starts in the tray, it can be shown by
> running RB again (as Christophe asked).

The more I get into Rhythmbox, and the more I read this ML, I am
impressed. Doc, I especially like your efficient way of answering and
how you guys keep the code as good as it gets. ;) This is very good
behaviour!

> > [Library Location selection UI ]

> Using links would certainly work, and with RB >= 0.9.3 it shouldn't
> get stuck on recursive symlinks either. Rhythmbox has supported
> multiple library locations since library watching got added, it just
> isn't exposed in the UI (i.e. via gconf).

> Given that the majority of people won't want or need multiple
> locations, I don't think we should make it harder for them to use
> because of a minority. However if we can add it in a way that doesn't
> annoy people who don't want to use it, it's good for both groups.

> I personally like the "additional library locations" button idea,
> because it is easily ignorable by people who don't want it; they
> either won't press the button, or they will press it, read the
> description and then close the dialog because they don't want the
> feature. It also reinforces the fact that the location selected in
> the main preferences is more important, as it is the "primary"
> library location that would get used for CD ripping, copying off
> ipods, etc.

I wasn't aware of the core support already being there. But thus, I
agree totally. It could look like the dialog for Automatic Playlists,
where you can either select one Criterium or as many more as you need.
However, it should be explained that the primary library is the place
where music is stored and - maybe - mentioned that write access to the
would be helpful. One could even go as far as suggesting an (empty)
directory for the primary library if all available sources are
read-only.

Keep up the good work.
-karsten

--