[Rhythmbox-devel] rb on pause doesn't seem to release the audio device

When I play songs on rb, and then I pause them, none of my other sound
programs are able to play anything until I exit rb completely.  I
remember that this used to work a while ago where rb on pause would
allow other things to play.  Something about letting go of the
gstreamer stream.  I'm not sure.  Is there a way to get that to work
again?  Its really nice for things like skype and online video where I
can pause the music for just a second, run something else, and then
play again.

On the other side of the coin, if another app has the sound card and I
try to play something in rb, I get no error of any kind, it just sits
there patiently not doing anything.  And then, even after the other
app has exited, rb still won't play anything until I have restarted
it.  I'm not sure what is going on  here either but it sounds related
to the behavior I mentioned earlier.

I searched bugzilla but couldn't find anything related.

Thanks.

John