Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] GUI mockup... let's get this sorted once and for all

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 16:45 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> I guess i should have said 28pt font on a 1920x1200 display.  With a
> smaller display the necessary zoomed font size would be smaller too.
> But really the point is that it isn't catering to a minority it is just
> good design.  It makes you think in a different way.  In general, I
> think programmers and geeks tend to use smaller fonts then the general
> population [1] and it shows.  Anyway, just my personal quirk really but
> just passing it along.

I knew I didn't explain myself properly. When I mentioned about catering
to the majority, I didn't mean the minority being visualy impaired
users... of course we should cater for all visually impaired people and
make the app as accessible as possible for anyone with a disability. The
minority I was talking about are simply those people who don't like
having any album art etc. and who just perhaps have 'unique' tastes in
UI design.

> Oh, and by portable devices I also meant things like the Nokia 770.

I was thinking that you may have meant this... truly, in my opinion the
Nokia 770 UI simply shouldn't be the exact same as the desktop version
of Rhythmbox. The guy who's working on porting Rhythmbox to maemo is
doing an admirable job of it, his blog can be found at
http://tuxrecife.blogspot.com/ but truly i doubt that album art would
look good if implemented on it's 800x480 screen, especially when you
take into account that the app doesn't even get all of the space on the
screen. I'm thinking that the album art simply shouldn't be included on
the maemo version of Rhythmbox for the time being.

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 16:49 -0500, Joel Duggan wrote:
> That mock-up looks good.  I've wondered for a while why the album art
> didn't go beside the now playing bar.  If you want to get fancy, that
> area could be resizable too, in order to let the album art be bigger.
> The problem would be that the Now Playing area would have a lot of
> wasted space when made much bigger.
>
> I am indifferent with the sources list going up beside the Now Playing
> area.  I could take it or leave it.

I'm not sure how the devs could implement it being re-sizable, but I was
thinking more along the lines of hovering over it or double-clicking it
to see a larger version overlayed on the screen...

I figured that shifting the sources list up fills the gap and also adds
some space to the sidebar, so all in all I'm happy with that decision...
it adds a bit, doesn't detract anything.

I'm surprised (and really glad) that so many replies have been posted
already... One of the other things you guys have mentioned is on video
podcasts. This is without doubt going to take some thought and
discussion, but the first thing that springs to mind is to use Totem and
not cram video into the rhythmbox interface... it could open a totem
window with only the video and basic controls and without the sidebar.
It could even be a user-configurable option as to what video player to
use, as Totem isn't everyone's taste.

- edit -  was in a rush there and sent the reply directly to William there, sorry.