Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] GUI mockup... let's get this sorted once and for all

Hi Jakub,

Jakub Steiner wrote:
On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 22:48 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 17:39 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:

Bastien Nocera wrote:

<snip>

I'm not sure this is right.  Check out the example here:
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/07/how_to_make_enh.html

I don't think a tiny thumbnail next to the song title is going to cut it.

I should say that I used to think the same way you do until two weeks ago when I saw Apple demo iTunesU here at JHU. The level of integration between audio, video, etc. is amazing - we have some catching up to do. I'm not sure just handing off to totem is going to work.

I didn't know you could do all that in a Podcast. But at the same time, it's not anything that Totem wouldn't be able to handle with better SMIL (or simili-SMIL) support. In this particular case it's just MPEG-4 audio bookmarks and images being displayed.

Would it be that hard to offload?

Howdy musiclovers.
I think the only reason to have podcasts in a music jukebox app is
because of the synchronisation to the portable devices. I personally
prefer having a set of limited scope applications that cooperate well.

I don't agree that the only reason to have podcasts in something like iTunes is for sync'ing. Why do you think that?

As for design philosophy: applications, services, or objects it doesn't really matter which as long as they are well integrated, the maintenance overhead is kept low, and performance is adequate.

I prefer my file manager to help me manage files, not browse the web. I
would totally prefer a separate podcast client (penguintv is quite
cool). And that should actually only deal with finding, subscribing and
managin the sources, for playback a generic media player such as totem
sounds ideal. I would prefer a device synchronisation application that
wouldn't do anything but sync data onto a device. Podcasts, music,
calendars, e-mail... I don't need my email client to care about that, I
don't need my music jukebox to care about that either. It's the data
that matters. Things get to end up a lot easier to understand in terms
of interface. Cramming podcasting into a jukebox app is a little nasty.

So I don't think I agree with your characterization that podcasts are somehow orthogonal to listening to other kinds of audio. I think your argument would be much more relevant to say splitting up the evolution components.

I also completely disagree with your assertion that using three separate programs to be able to listen to a single podcast is a better experience. Being able to focus the interface is not really relevant when the interface and action is essentially the same - listening.

Let's look at this another way. I think it is perfectly clear that adding cd burning and cd ripping to rhythmbox were the right things to do. If we used your logic this would never have happened. The application boundary is artificial.

Jon