Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] features in current cvs

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 14:05 +1100, James "Doc" Livingston wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 14:52 -0600, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> > Well, there is a POPM frame specifically designed to store play counts
> > and ratings in ID3 tags. I don't think GStreamer supports it though.
> > It's keyed to an email address, so multiple people can track their stats
> > in the same file.
> >
> > Quod Libet extends this to Vorbis comments (in Ogg Vorbis and FLAC
> > files) by using keys like rating:email domain; details on the format are
> > at http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet/wiki/Specs/VorbisComments.
> >
> > It would be nice if multiple players could support this standard, and
> > let users switch between different programs without losing their play
> > counts and ratings.
>
> That seems like a reasonable way to do it, and hadn't noticed it in Quod
> Libet (is it the {Import,Export}Meta plugins?).

Since Vorbis writing is so ridiculously slow, it waits until you do any
other kind of writes to the file, then syncs the playcount and rating.
In practice, it could probably write MP3s every time you play them and
no one you notice.

The plugin is entirely unrelated... QL just does that by itself.

> I imagine it would be off by default, and the user could turn it on by
> entering the email address to use. If it wasn't turned on, and we
> encountered a file containing those tags, we could ask the user "Do you
> want to turn it on, with one of these addresses?" and the list of
> addresses encountered.

QL defaults to quodlibet lists sacredchao net (which is a valid email
address), and doesn't yet let the user configure it because the code
doesn't have proper unit and regression tests yet (I haven't had much
incentive to do it since it's not like it matters for other players
yet). It will also load that by default if it can't find the user's
email address in the file.

> (AFAIK) GStreamer will give us GST_TAG_COMMENT for any vorbis comments
> that it doesn't have specific mappings for, so we could parse those. I'm
> not sure what it does with unknown ID3 tags.

Probably nothing. It's nontrivial to impossible to get useful
information out of unknown ID3 frames.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman sacredchao net>