Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] select custom alsa pcm device?

Alex Jones wrote:
Rhythmbox uses gconfaudiosink with the "music and movies" profile, which
is defined in GConf under /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink

You can choose a device for this via gnome-sound-properties, or you can
add your own custom pipeline instead by editing that key manually.

Set it to "alsasink device=virtualsurround51" if you want, but Totem
(and any other app using the "music and movies" profile) will use this
profile, too.

If you absolutely need a custom pipeline setting for Rhythmbox
specifically, we don't have that currently, but it can be considered.

Thanks for your reply.
I asked the same question in alsa-user lists sourceforge net and apparently an application is supposed to auto-select the appropriate surround device when playing multi-channel streams. It seem likes Totem does that already, so now I'm free to make my custom device the default.