Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Queries about Rhythmbox on dbus

On 1/3/07, Peter Gordon <peter thecodergeek com> wrote:
Ed Catmur wrote:
> Pallavi Rao wrote:
>> Additionally, wouldnot it be nicer if rhythmbox also
>> had a mute button on it, emitting along with it a
>> signal called "MuteOn" on dbus-monitor.
> What's the use case for this? I can see that a music player control applet
> would want to track and change the volume, but when would the user want to
> mute Rhythmbox as opposed to the whole computer?

Incoming phone call (Ekiga, et al.) perhaps?

James' initial reply is quoted below. I'd agree with him, at least in
the case of an incoming phone call; I certainly wouldn't want to miss
my favorite song! :P

On 1/3/07, James Doc Livingston <doclivingston gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 02:25 -0800, Pallavi Rao wrote:
> Additionally, wouldnot it be nicer if rhythmbox also
> had a mute button on it, emitting along with it a
> signal called "MuteOn" on dbus-monitor.

We've discussed "mute" before, and I think the general consensus is that
it isn't anywhere near as useful for audio-only players as it is for
video ones. For audio-only players, pausing is usually just as good.