Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Handling non persistent tracks was:Keywords (aka categories or tags) in Rhythmbox

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 17:04 +1100, James Livingston wrote:
> One thing I've been thinking about is that for "generic" portable
> players which don't have a database on them, we should save our database
> info as a cache (e.g. ~/.gnome2/rhythmbox/devices/$HAL_ID.xml). That way
> we would do the same thing we do with Library tracks, and not have to
> scan all the tags again when you plugin the device in - only see whether
> tracks have been removed, added or modified.
>
> However the big question for things like this is whether to store things
> like tags and playcounts on the device itself (so it works if you plug
> it into a different machine) or not.

If we did end up saving data to the player itself, it might be worth
trying to collaborate with some of the other linux audio players, so
that they could take advantage of this information as well.

--
Adam Zimmerman <adam_zimmerman sfu ca>

CREATIVITY  - http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/movingimages/Building_on_the_Past.mpg
ALWAYS      - http://www.musiccreators.ca/