Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Gapless/crossfade playback in svn trunk

Hi all,

I can't get RB to compile with this enabled. I am passing
"--with-playback=gstreamer-0-10" to ./configure, but I don't see a
"Playback" tab in the preferences. What could I be doing wrong?

--
Tom Kirby

On 29/03/07, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan kaolin wh9 net> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 04:54:20PM +0100, Derek Cramer wrote:
> On 27/03/07, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan kaolin wh9 net> wrote:
>
> > (replaygain, for instance).
>
> Thanks for this Jonathan. I'm not really interested in crossfading,
> but really like gapless playback (even tiny gaps in something like
> Dark Side of the Moon really annoy me), and replaygain so I appreciate
> this. What's the story with replaygain though? How does this back-end
> affect it? I only ask because I am not sure it is working correctly.

This doesn't surprise me at all.  I don't think I tested it even once.
I just copied the replaygain code from the existing player backend; the
only difference is that if a track doesn't have replaygain info, its
volume will be set to 1.0, not whatever the last track was set to.

> I'll have to do some more listening to be sure. Does it use track or
> album gain? Does it or can it be made to do "smart" gain (like the
> Slimdevices Squeezebox) where it uses album gain if playing tracks
> from one album and track gain otherwise?

It currently uses album gain if available and track gain otherwise.
It's not very smart.