Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Classical Music or Audiobooks on Rhythmbox

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 04:04:42PM -0400, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> At 2:33p -0400 on Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Sol wrote:
> > As far as I can tell the implicit order of tracks depends on "track
> > number" and "disc number". Are you aware of the "disc number" meta data
> > field? A prerequisite is that all Discs of your multi-cd-box share the
> > same "album" name. This should give you exactly what you asked for (at
> > least it works for me;).
>
> On this note, something that has bugged me (but not enough to file a
> feature request) is that I can only order by one explicit attribute at a
> time.  That is, if I click on Artist, Rhythmbox orders the entire
> viewable collection by the artists' names.
>
> If I then click on Genre, it orders the entire viewable collection by
> genre.  This is *sometimes* what I want, but other times I want to order
> by the Artist, and then within each artist, order by the genre.

On what basis do you make this determination?  Is there some information
you get out of the artist->genre sort ordering that isn't available
otherwise?  It seems like the real problem here isn't "I need to be able to
produce every possible sort order", but that's what you're trying to
solve.

> Since I note there is development talk about perhaps using SQLite
> (rhythmdb/DESIGN), I'll point out that this is very easy to do in SQL:

Those vague mentions of SQLite are over 4 years old, and like much else
in that file, irrelevant now.

Rhythmbox will not be SQL-based any time soon.  It'll take a hell of a
lot of work, and a tiny bit more justification than apparent ease of
sorting query results.