Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Suggested Features

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 19:16 +0300, Viktor Kojouharov wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Mats Taraldsvik
> <mats taraldsvik broadpark no> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 03:44 -0400, Tommy Ryan wrote:
> >> I really like Rhythmbox. I have a couple suggestions of features to add.
> >> I was unsure what the best way to do that is.
> >>
> >> 1. Video support - I know alot have suggested this
> >
> > Why would Rhythmbox need video support? Totem, VLC, MPlayer does this.
> >

> Because of music video clips, video podcasts, etc. And Totem, VLC,
> Mplayer already play music, so why do we need Rhythmbox?

Again, I think Totem/VLC/Mplayer has done exactly what the OP requested
here in their application. That is, adding audio support to a video
player. Do you often use one of these applications to play audio?

I think the pattern for listening to music is different from watching
video. You seldom watch more than one, perhaps two movies in a row, and
therefore, the demand for a video library is not that high ( you find
your video file with Beagle/Tracker/Xesam or manually, and therefore
don't need another library to manage ).

Music players, however, are completely different. It's not uncommon to
listen to a lot of tracks in a row, and the need for a library to manage
this music is obvious.

> >> 2. Equalizer - I like increasing the bass
> >> 3. Multiple Libraries - I do a good job organizing my music but think
> >> having another library might help out.
> >
> > I think there is some sort of partial support for it, cause you can add
> > more paths in gconf.
>
> I don't see the reason behind multiple libraries. A better solution
> would be better filtering of [automatic] playlists.

Consider the following scenario:

I have a large music collection, and a large audiobook collection. I'd
like to keep these separate for the following reasons:

- When I listen to music I don't want track 5 of A Study in Scarlet to
suddenly start playing.
- I don't want to scrobble (last.fm) my audiobooks.
- My dynamic playlists (most popular etc. ) shouldn't include the
audiobook collection.

Perhaps you could do this with playlists, but I don't really see it
being easier.

> >> 4. Sync - Automatically sync with mp3 players, and ipods.
> >
> > Syncing playlists, then? What about podcasts?
> >

> Adding to that, a generic vfs plugin for syncing would be a good idea.
> Add a path to a directory you want to add songs (or sync). That
> directory can be on a harddrive, mass storage, obex, etc ... Good
> solution for all those phones out there, with massive storage
> capacity.

Great! This would (perhaps) be perfect to do with Conduit, which is a
syncing app for GNOME.