Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] feature request

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Mats Taraldsvik
<mats taraldsvik broadpark no> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 20:19 +0200, Jaap Cramer wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I use Rhythmbox now for a while. Great app :)
>> I thought it might be nice if I could sort a huge list by default. Say,
>> first sort by album, then by track, then by title, or so. Is it possible
>> to create such preferences? Others could prefer other ways of sorting.
>>
>> Jaap (nl)
>
> If I remember correctly, this was requested not long ago. The most
> obvious problem would be how to make this sorting intuitive in the UI.
>
> Search in the list archive.

BeOS's Tracker file manager had a simple method for sorting on
secondary columns. Clicking on one column header would sort files by
that column. Shift+clicking on another column would then perform a
secondary sort on that column. I don't remember if it supported
further nesting, but combined with its ability to display file
attributes as columns, it made organizing collections of files such as
mp3s and emails, very nice. The primary sort column was visually
indicated by a solid line under the column name, and the secondary
sort column had a dashed underline.