Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox - IPOD use case

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 22:03 +0100, Klaus Reichl wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I bought my IPOD by mistake (I do like the HW design, more and more hate
> the SW), however, after running rhythmbox on it a could think of a new
> spring.
>
> What I'd like to see is:
>
> 1) (amarok inspired): no interrelationship between different computers
> and target (MP3 Player)
>
>    => iTunes and Rhythmbox are wrong in the sense that they argue
>       the illusion of comfort because of the interrelationship between
>       the ONE computer and the player
>
>    This illusion is wrong and plays for $$ SHOPS
>
>    => I would like to download to IPOD target from where ever I am
>       and paid for service independent of the backing computer
>       e.g. Home Computer summarizing MY CDs
>            Company Environment for shared buyings
>            Laptop for own offerings
>            - worked on my Laptop last summer pulling in some CDs
> 	     all other (located on my main computer) where killed by
>              iTunes)
>
> 2) (this is my idea):
>    => save the Music in arbitrary format (OCC in my case)
>
>    => automatically translate it to whatever the target (player)
> 	is capable of storing.
>
>    So here is what I'm currently doing:
>
>    * Download CD to computer in OGG or alike
> 	(goal: backup without lossage)
>
>    * Convert OGG => MP3 (sound-convert)
>
>    * Burn the (alternative directory) to IPOD
>
>    What I'd like:
>
>    * Download CD to arbitrary format
>
>    * Burn it to IPOD transparantly (converting from OGG -> MP3
> on-the-fly).
>
>    This would be real cook, n'est pas?

Not sure if this is what you are asking, but Rhythmbox already converts
transparently between music formats, depending on your settings. In my
case, my music collection in lossless flac-format, and Rhythmbox
converts to ogg vorbis when I transfer files from the library to my
SanDisk Sansa Clip. (ogg- and flac-capable flash player, btw, but I have
the 2GB version, where flac would consume too much space)

> cuK

Mats