Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Web Remote Control

Hi Adrian,

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 07:37 -0700, Adrian Hesketh wrote:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/rhythmbox-web-remote-control).  I'd really like your feedback on what I've written so far.

Well, clearly I think this would be an awesome feature to have included
in RB/Ubuntu by default. :)

I think your spec is on the right track. HTML interfaces have a good
reach and a web services API would be definitely be useful for advanced
users/uses.

Some work probably needs to be done to work out how the UI for some of
the more important features should look/work (queuing new tracks,
selecting sources/playlists/etc) and it would probably be worthwhile
working out what more of the HTTP API (for AJAX/web services style
interaction) will look like, I think a REST-ful approach would work
well.

I have a feeling that using a Python markup template engine like Genshi
would be a better choice than XML/XSL for HTML generation. It should
have a lower overhead which is important since (AFAICT) the plugin can
only use RB's idle time for handling requests and can be very easily
integrated into a python plugin.

> Michael Gratton has already written something fairly similar to what I
> would like to see included in Rhythmbox, except missing a few key
> features.

I'd be happy to publish Rhythmweb to somewhere like Launchpad, or even
get it into GNOME SVN so it could be used as a basis for this work and
so people can more easily contribute to it, if that would help.

> I asked a question about how to proceed with my idea
> (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/47010) and apparently,
> I need an approver for this project.
>
> Would anyone be interested in becoming the approver for this project?

I think that's a process you'd need to follow to get it shipped with
Ubuntu, is that what you mean or are you looking to get it shipped with
Rhythmbox itself?

/Mike

--
⎊ Michael Gratton. "Mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat."
⎈ <http://web.vee.net/>