Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Youtube plugin

2009/8/1 Jamie Nicol <jamie thenicols net>:
> Hey guys
>
> First of all I love rhythmbox. It's by far the best music player I've ever
> used, so I was thinking of ways I could help make it even better. Whenever I
> have friends round to my flat and we're listening to music, eventually
> somebody will want to play a song which I don't have in my library. Youtube
> is great for this as there's loads of music on it, but it means pausing
> rhythmbox and loading up epiphany. And by doing this you can't make a play
> cue or have it shuffle after playing the chosen song etc. But I figured that
> totem has a youtube plugin, so why can't rhythmbox.
>
> I'm not exactly a fantastic programmer but I gave it a shot. It's got quite
> a few bugs I'm aware of, and probably loads more that I'm not, but it's
> useable, and I think it shows promise.
>
> It's far from complete. I plan on fixing the bugs, tidying up the UI, trying
> to add thumbnails of the results, and a few more things. But anyway, here's
> what I've done so far. I think even in its current state it's useful, but
> I'd love to know what you guys think. Dropping it into
> ~/.gnome2/rhythmbox/plugins should work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jamie

That's a really cool idea, and it works well. I'm not sure if there
would be any legal problems with something like this. It certainly
feels like youtube wouldn't approve, but then like you said, totem has
a youtube plugin.

I'd be interested to see some improvements too. It's certainly useful
and it works well now but it's a bit bare. It could benefit from a few
extras, info like descriptions and ratings, maybe a 'browse' option,
something to let the user know that a song is loading, maybe a link to
the youtube page.

But yeah, good job, I know exactly what you mean about listening to
songs on youtube so it's definitely very handy and completely usable
in it's current state.

Joe