[Rhythmbox-devel] media player sync branch

Over the past while, I've been working on the media player sync code
Paul Bellamy wrote as part of his summer of code project. As of about
half an hour ago, the code is now available in the 'media-player-sync'
branch in the git repository
(http://git.gnome.org/browse/rhythmbox/log/?h=media-player-sync).

The main thing that I think needs to be done for merging this to
master is to improve the sync settings UI. I don't really like the way
it behaves at the moment, but I'm not entirely sure what to do
instead. Feedback and ideas welcome.

Some possible future work:
- podcast sync settings - number of episodes to transfer to a device,
whether to skip episodes that have already been played, maybe more
- automatic syncing - I haven't thought much about how this would
work, but it seems like a sensible idea
- better handling of out-of-space situations - currently you have to
manually change the sync options so the selected items will fit on the
device, which isn't much fun
- some way of handling files on the device that aren't in the library
- currently these will just be deleted, but in some cases you'd
probably want to copy them into the library instead
- support for generic (USB mass storage) players - this shouldn't be
hard, as there isn't much device specific code for syncing.