Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] information requested

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 01:50:35PM +0200, Francesco Miglietta wrote:
> Is it true that the ubuntu team wants to replace rhythmbox with banshee
> on 9.10 version?
> I love your product and i don't understand the motivations, could you
> explain me if any?
> Has Banshee some features than Rhytm has not? Something thant you
> couldn't add quickly to your player before the 9.10 release?

This is true.  I can't find any real information about the motivations behind
it.  The outcome of the decision process (whatever it was, I wasn't involved in
any way and I don't know how it worked) seems to be that if certain features
are implemented in banshee by some deadline, then banshee will replace
rhythmbox in the default ubuntu install.  There doesn't appear to be any
consideration for changes made to rhythmbox during that period.

The only solid information I can find is here:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/583933.  This links to a set of bugs that I assume
must all be fixed for the replacement to go ahead.  I can't predict whether they're
going to make it.

I don't have much to say about this issue personally.  I would have liked to
have been involved in the process, and I like to think I would have had some
constructive input, but ultimately it's ubuntu's decision.  They should ship
whatever software they feel best satisfies the goals of the ubuntu desktop.