[Rhythmbox-devel] External podcasts

Folks

I have been playing round with the code working out the best way to get rhythmbox to handle externally downloaded podcasts. I have come up with two approaches that look like they should work but I am not sure which one would be best.

Option 1 is to hook into the ryhthmdb monitoring functions. That would involve adding the podcast download location to the list of monitored directories which is simple enough. The problem is that it looks like it will be a lot of work to process the change events correctly for podcasts - the whole monitoring thing assumes that everything being monitored is a song so teaching it to distinguish between songs and podcasts would be a fair bit of work. I'd also need some input from someone who knows that part of the code better as I can't work out where events are pulled off the event queue and processed. I'd probably need to add a new event type to allow the event processor to know whether its a song or podcast. The advantage of this is that its a very simple UI. Essentially there is no change to the existing UI and any files placed in the podcast download location would automagically appear.

The other option is to hook into the podcast handler's periodic update mechanism. Essentially you would add podcasts as normal through the UI but rather than specifying a URL do download from you would specify a local directory to import from. Possibly it would need an "external podcast' checkbox to distinguish it from a podcast handles by rhythmbox. During the periodic update that the podcast handler does, for podcasts with the external flag set (or a local directory instead of a URL) it would check for new files in the directory instead of downloading new episodes then add them to the list as normal. This would be less work than approach 1 and is integrated into the podcast component which makes sense but would mean that the user would have to configure each podcast in RB as well as in their external downloader. Possibly an import function could be added to help with this. Another problem is that it would only find new episodes when the updater runs (every hour by default) rather than them appearing as soon as they appear on the filesystem.

Any suggestions on which approach is best from the gurus out there? I'm tending towards option 2 but mostly because its less work and I can see how to do it all (which appeals to my innate laziness).

Cheers
Dave