Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Ipod Plugin Enhancements

Hi David,

2009/3/28 David Martin - Airgead Studio <david airgeadstudio net>
I think you are right. Externally managed podcast feeds do need to appear in the podcast plugin along with ones that rhythmbox manages. I'm not sure the base way to manage that. At the moment my thought is that we re-use the watch for new files mechanism that the main library uses and apply that to the podcast library as well. Externally managed podcasts would get placed in there by whatever app is downloading them and rhythmbox would pick them up and add them to its podcast library.

Yep, this is exactly what I would have suggested doing, so it makes sense to me at least :)

This still leaves the problem of getting the podcasts onto the ipod. What I propose is to have an additional "Synchronise Podcasts" item in the ipod plugin context menu.

In the end, we'll probably want a Synchronization Settings window to choose which playlists, podcasts, ... to synchronize, but for this particular project, a Synchronize Podcasts menu item is plenty enough, we can improve things later.

I would also propose having another context menu item on the ipod - "autofill". This would calculate free space on the device then fill with random songs (or random albums - need a config setting there) until the ipod is full (or < x% free space based on a config setting).

Maybe it's better to hold a little bit on that one, there's a media player library synchronization google summer of code project for rhythmbox, and some students applied to it and said they'd implement this as part of their gsoc. So to avoid duplicate work, it's probably better to wait for the list of projects that have been approved as socs for this year.

Christophe