Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Volunteering for rythmbox feature : secondary audio output

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Gaetan <gaetan xeberon net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to avdise from Rhythmbox developpers in order to add an important
> feature for me for this good software. I'd like to use an second sound card
> to listen to a song while the main is still playing. I do this in order to
> easilly select a song in a party without having to botther with one instance
> of rythmbox, and another player.
>
> My idea is to use the "Party mix" to ensure the current song is never
> stopped, the waiting list will be popuplated by the "operator/dj", or when
> it's empty, automatically. Starting playback on a element in the list will
> not start in on the main output but on the second sound card.

However you implement this, it's probably going to work more or less
like you're using one instance of rhythmbox and another player. You're
going to need a separate UI to control the second track, and you
probably wouldn't want to use the same player backend code as
rhythmbox normally does.

Maybe it'd be simpler to implement a rhythmbox plugin that provided
some UI within rhythmbox to control an instance of totem or similar.
You could then focus on designing that UI rather than dealing with
playback pipelines and basic controls.