Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] New Last.fm plugin not updating displayed plays or scrobbling radio stations

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Jamie Nicol <jamie thenicols net> wrote:
hey Kyle. the reason that your profile doesn't update is a design decision. we didn't want to send too many requests to last.fm so rather than updating every song we only update recent tracks automatically every hour I believe. and once a day for playcount. this could be changed fairly easily, or even made an adjustable setting I suppose. some feedback from more users would be nice. for the time being, you can right click the last.fm source and choose refresh/update. (I can't remember what I called it)

Thanks for your reply. I wonder if it would be better to use the scrobble event to just "artificially" keep track of the play count? I say artificially because it would blindly increment the play count and not be 100% sure that the scrobble was successful, but if it actually updates on a scheduled time period then any offset would be corrected then.

This seems like a solution to the expected behavior without the need for sending more requests and wasting bandwidth.

as for radio plays not scrobbling, are you a subscriber? ie did you have enter your password to listen?

I did have to enter my password. Actually, I've made the leap and updated to Ubuntu 11.04 alpha 1 now (previously using 10.10) and scrobbling from the radio playlist works as expected. This bug may be a result of the backport as I mentioned before, so don't worry about this one anymore. :)

While I've got your attention, would it be possible to make the Last.fm Ban and Love buttons stay visible for my own personal/local Library? Otherwise, you have to select Last.fm from the list and then Love/Ban. I realize this may not be wanted by people who don't use Last.fm at all, but it seems like a feature that should be enabled after you've given the plugin access to your Last.fm account. Just food for thought.

Thanks for your work on the new plugin! I love it!

--
Kyle Baker