Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] media player sync branch

On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 11:48 -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> So I'm putting my GNOME marketing hat on and I'm curious as to why you
> left Rhythmbox

My main reason was the kaffuffle 8-9 months or so ago in which the word
from the RB team was that there was not a lot of future in RB
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2009-February/msg00023.html).

> moved to Banshee

Due to the above, the distro I use, Ubuntu was rumoured to have been
considering dropping RB for Banshee.  I think there is a continuing push
in that direction with Ubuntu, although I am only peripherally aware of
it.

> and then moved back?

While Banshee is nice in the eye-candy department, and their "context
pane" is nice (still beats RB's), the memory requirements of it were
just too much to take any more.  With both apps "just started" and an
almost 9000 song library, Banshee comes out of the gate at 83MB real,
236MB virtual and RB is at 72MB real, 202MB virtual.  Comparible,
indeed.  But let them both play 8-10h a day, for a few days and watch
the growth difference.

> There has been a lot of momentum on Banshee and it's a pretty shiny
> product

Indeed.

> while ours has been relatively stable with few visual changes or
> extensive feature changes.

Again, indeed.  The context pane is a bit of a shiny new bit, but I
think Banshee's context pane offers more still.  I also don't like the
placement of it on the right of the browser and title list.  I find
there is never enough horizontal real estate for the title list pane as
it is without trading some of it's space for the context pane.

But I am back for now.

b.