Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] errors running media-sync-branch

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Adam Dingle <adam yorba org> wrote:
> I updated my sources from the media-sync-branch and rebuilt.  Now when I
> press Sync I no longer see the gtk_action_set_sensitive assertion, but
> unfortunately it still does not seem to be syncing: nothing happens.
>
> I did also see some of these messages while my iPod was connected:
>
> ** (rhythmbox:5211): WARNING **: Unknown action type 33554433
> ** (rhythmbox:5211): CRITICAL **: itdb_splr_validate: assertion `at !=
> ITDB_SPLAT_UNKNOWN' failed

This looks like libgpod is having problems with your ipod. Stack
traces from these might help; run rhythmbox under gdb with '-D
something' as arguments and it'll break any time it prints a warning
or critical message.

> I would love to see syncing working and merged into trunk in time for GNOME
> 2.30 this spring.  I have a feeling there's a bit work to be done, however.
> Even if the missing action warnings are benign, we should fix them anyway: a
> well-behaved GNOME program should not normally be printing warnings.

Sure, of course those need to be fixed. My intent is to indicate which
problems might block further testing and which shouldn't.

> Jonathan, in a message in December you said you weren't completely happy
> with the sync settings dialog.  I personally think it's usable enough for
> now - if syncing worked reliably, I think users would much rather have this
> capability including this dialog than not have it at all.
>
> Jonathan, are you able to sync reliabily to an iPod using the current code
> base?

When I was working on this code, I could sync to a filesystem I had
told rhythmbox to treat as an ipod. I don't actually have an ipod.

> I hope to be able to help with getting this working to the point where we
> can merge into trunk.  I'll delve into the syncing code and see if I can
> figure out what's wrong on my system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you want some more realtime
help looking into it, drop by #rhythmbox on irc.gnome.org.