[Rhythmbox-devel] Ignoring Duplicates

Can Rhythmbox be made to ignore duplicate entries in the library (e.g. when the same track is found via links, or my laptop is sharing folders that have collections that overlap with my desktop computer)? Ideally it should recognise duplicate tracks or albums by comparing names with punctuation removed, not counting as a duplicate two tracks by different artists yet the same title; it shouldn't need the recording method to be the same (although an option could be given to be fussy about file size, so long as different tags don't mess up the comparison). There is also the situation where the same performer with the same track occurs in two different albums - I wonder if it could be possible to exclude the duplicate from searches for a track/song, yet include it when listing the contents of an album?

Slightly relating to this, I find that rhythmbox creates filenames and directory names with characters that really should be stripped out (e.g. ":" in a filename that is shared with a Windows computer is not good). The external names should be a modified version of the displayed tracks/albums, with most punctuation removed.

I am interested in helping program some of the suggestions that come to mind, but I'd like to start with those that seasoned developers don't think are very difficult.

Mark