Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox as a UPnP renderer/controller

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Chris Baines <cbaines8 gmail com> wrote:
> I have been playing with UPnP recently, and been using the gupnp-av-cp
> tool to control stuff. But this seems really clunky, not surprising as
> its really meant for testing. So I was thinking of rhythmbox
> controlling renderers, as in when you play content from a media server
> in rhythmbox, you can also select an alternative renderer.
>
> I found this https://code.google.com/p/rhythmpnp/ and
> http://coherence.beebits.net/wiki/RhythmBox , but neither act as a
> controller? I have also been told that rhythmpnp is not built for the
> current plugin infrastructure.
>
> So, does anyone have any advice if I want to try writing or expanding
> an existing plugin to allow rhythmbox to act as a UPnP controller?

I don't think there's an existing plugin that would serve as a useful
starting point for implementing a UPnP controller in rhythmbox. It's
probably more useful to approach it from the other end - what
capabilities do you want to provide through the rhythmbox user
interface, and how do they fit in?

Rhythmbox currently isn't able to display playback state or use the
main controls for anything other than local media playback, and that's
fairly difficult to change. Can you do something else instead?