Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] gmenu, plugins and you

"End-users" aren't going to see the changes right away. The only
people who'll see the next release of RB any time soon are Fedora
Rawhide / Debian Sid / openSUSE Factory / ArchLinux users. These folks
are not your classical "end users" who faint when they see an error
message; very likely they know enough about GNU/Linux to at least
diagnose and file a good bug report, if not send you a patch. The REAL
end-users are running Ubuntu 12.04 / 12.10 almost exclusively these
days, with a periphery on things like Fedora stable, Debian stable,
RHEL, etc. Things are frozen for Ubuntu 13.04, so it'll be at least
until 13.10 (October 2013) before the truly helpless users see this
change.

It would be nice if commits could at least say something like [PLUGIN
API BREAK] in the commit message if it's going to break things that
most/all plugins use; but as it stands I don't see a whole lot of
users being inconvenienced by API breaks unless they (for some odd
reason) get immediately pulled into a stable and popular distro
release. As long as we (external plugin devs) notice these breaks
within a month or two of them being pushed in a stable release, we
should be able to protect a majority of our users from being impacted.

-Sean