[Rhythmbox-devel] Discussion as to whether community based external plugins could/should be in the official source-tree

Hi all,

  There are a number of GPL 2 & 3 based plugins that have been converted to python3 and thus can & do run in the latest version of RB (below).

Would Jonathan and the other rhythmbox developers consider it appropriate to introduce into the source-tree a community section where external developers could submit their pride-and-joy?

This would allow these plugins to be actively pulled into the downstream distro's such as Arch/Fedora/Debian etc. and thus see a much larger audience than currently.

Obviously, there will need to be some-sort of oversight and yes I would acknowledge that this would place a small extra burden on the current maintainers.

I'm not proposing though that these community plugins are to be maintained by the current maintainers - they obviously would have final veto and could & should drop plugins that fail to be maintained by the community.

Anyway - any thoughts/pitfalls?

thanks

David

These are the current list of python3 based plugins that I'm aware of (if there are others, shout!):

artdisplay
countdown-playlist
coverart-browser
coverart-search