Re: libtinymail-camel dependecies

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 12:26 +0100, �stein Gisn�wrote:
> 2006/10/31, Philip Van Hoof <spam pvanhoof be>:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 21:18 +0800, Nitin Mahajan nokia com wrote:
> >
> > > Seeing the sources of camel-lite I feel that for SSL support it has an
> > > option of linking to Mozilla's NSS library or the OpenSSL library. By
> >
> > At this moment only mozilla-nss, firefox-nss or xulrunner-nss.
>
> What do you mean by support? I've only tried with xulrunner-nss, and
> that certainly works, but only with changes to configure.ac. Is
> automatic detection of mozilla,firefox,xulrunner something to put on
> the wishlist?

Not really because ..

It doesn't matter whether the developer has the libraries for Gecko
installed. What matters is whether the developer also wants tinymail to
use those libraries or not.

Autodetection is most of the times not the right solution for tinymail's
feature switches. In the end it's what the developer wants, not what the
build environment autodetects ;)

I know this makes things more complicated. It's the price I pay for
flexibility I guess.

For example I can imagine mobile devices with both gtkhtml and Gecko
installed. The developer will now typically want to choose between:

o. I don't care, I don't want any HTML component
o. I want to let tinymail use Gecko
o. I want to let tinymail use gtkhtml
o. I want to develop my own HTML component
o. I will install gtkwebcore and develop my own based on that
o. I will install webkit and ....
o. The vendor of the device has put Opera on the device, I want to use
that ...

Trying to autodetect what the developer wants, is always going to be the
wrong solution :)

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be