Re: [Usability] UI proposal for icon selector

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Mark Finlay wrote:

> Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:04:18 +0000
> From: Mark Finlay <sisob tuxfamily org>
> To: Stefan Ihringer <Stefan Ihringer gmx net>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] UI proposal for icon selector

> > So, that's my proposal. I just hope that this hasn't been discussed
> > or implemented yet (couldn't find anything in the archives though).
> > Please add your comments :-)
>
> Not that I know of. One thing that also bothered me about the dialog is
> that it was way too small. it's 4x3 just like yours. I'd much prefer to
> see 5x4 or 6x5. The way it is atm makes scrolling really troublesome.

\beginrant

Mark, you've done it again.  Like most developers you have a decent
monitor, however there are many users out there with crappy hardware and
old monitors* and 6x5 would be just too big.

Call me a crack whore but in my not so humble opinion I should be able to
maximize the windows to take up as much space as I possibly can on my
crappy low resolution desktop!

The most obvious way to maximise a window is to click on the
maximise icon from the window titlebar.

/me still doesn't understand why a dialog that can and already does reflow
correctly if you grab the corner, does not have a convenient maximise icon
in the titlebar!

I understand even less why the Maximize option (in the dropdown menu on
the top left of the window) is greyed out, perfectly good functionality
being disabled for no good reason.

\endrant

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

* I'll admit I no longer have a crappy monitor but I still remember what
it is like and there is no reason to thoughtlessly exclude people on the
assumption that they will have a decent monitor.