Re: [Usability] Mac-Finder-like keyboard-navigation: Ctrl="and cl ose the current one"

On 02Dec2003 05:07PM (+0100), Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> > > See my latest reply to that bugzilla thread,
> >
> > 	i.e. that you want to use Control as the modifier to
> > mean "and close the other one" everywhere. That's a fair
> > point, but I neither see why it is hugely significant
>
> It makes it more consistent, discoverable, and easy-to-remember. I think
> those are good reasons.

On Mac OS X, it definitely helps that the modifier for "and close the
other one" is consistent everywhere. You know automatically that you
can use it on any navigation-type keybinding or mouse action.

On the Mac, it also happens that this modifier ("option") is the
standard "alternate action" modifier, much as "shift" is in
GNOME. It's true that, since the alternate-action modifier not "shift"
on the Mac, there's no risk of colliding with shift-click selection
extension.

However, it's also the case that shift-double-click leaves the
selection as-is and opens the currently selected set of items. And to
me, this makes more sense than changing the selection (or at least is
not clearly worse). I should add that, specifically, the first
shift-click of shift-double-click doesn't wait to deselect, it
deselects the item right away and then reselects it on the second
click.

So I think shift could work as the "and close the other one" modifier
if you made this change to shift-double-click behavior.

Regards,
Maciej