Re: [Usability] Galeon's Find Feature

Chee Bin HOH wrote:
On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 10:07, John R Lenton wrote:

However, to get rid of the search window, instead of a commonly accepted
Esc key being hit, a user has to use the Alt+C button.

In terms of keyboard usability, maybe we should allow the Esc button to
be utilised.

I tested will many windows apps, i found that <esc> close almost all dialog (small one) including filedialog.
I didnt test with macOSX's apps.

I think we should implement
"Esc should close dialog box, except XXX type of dialog bog"
where XXX type of dialog is a type that really need user input.

To me, typing Alt-C is faster than ESC, ESC key is located upper left
corner, where too far away from my fingers.

Alt C is locale specific, (access key that binded with _Cancel"
for Malay it should be Alt+B,
Alt+C might also conflicted with other accesskey.

So Alt-C should be much more keyboard usability, remember using arrow
keys or Ctrl+(F, B, N, P) to move around an emacs buffer? Ctrl+(F, B, N,
P) is a recommended way in Emacs too.

On other hand, new user can not tell from the Find dialog GUI, by typing
Esc can get rid of the Find dialog. A good GUI should be WYSIWYG.

wow! you mean people are still using that? I thought everybody was
searfhing for text with /text, repeating last search with ^G. Is there
any reason for Edit -> Find / ^F to still be around?

Agree, that is where HIG comes in, we should enforce Ctrl+G,
Shift+Ctrl+C.