[Usability] Thoughts on Simplification of Default Window Controls

I'm running the BlueCurve theme on Fedora, which I find to be professional, attractive, and elegant. It occurred to me that the top left window control (I'll call it the 'system menu' – please correct me if there is another term for this) offers very little functionality that isn't already available elsewhere.

Take a look at the menu items in the system menu:

Minimize, Maximize/Restore, and Close already have their own dedicated window controls (top-right).

Move can be done by dragging the window title bar and Resize can be done by dragging window borders. Both of these are nice examples of enabling direct manipulation, as recommended in the HIG (http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/usabilityprinciples.html#enable-direct-manipulation).

Roll-up can be done my double-clicking on the title bar.

This only leaves the multiple workplaces menu items as the only elements that aren't duplicates of functionality found elsewhere.

When I brought this issue up with a few friends and co-workers, I framed it as something that may have been copied from Windows. I was corrected though, as this is something that goes back well before even Windows 3.1.

I also pointed out the simpler window controls of Mac OS (the confounding behavior of the green “maximize” control notwithstanding). However, this isn't quite fair either. Mac OS does have the application menu in the global menu bar that runs across the screen. This has some similarity to the system menu in Gnome, though it does not include the manipulation functions (move, resize, minimize/maximize, etc).

This menu does have advantages for keyboard access and I suspect accessibility. It's a nice play to display the keyboard short-cuts too. Hiding/undiscoverable menu items are worth avoiding. That said, I'm sure there could be alternatives for keyboard accessibility of these functions. For example, right-clicking on the title bar opens up this system menu.

It strikes me that this redundancy may be an opportunity to simplify a aspect of window management that we see a lot of. However, this is just an open idea, intended to spawn discussion. I certainly don't have an implementable-suggestion here. I'm curious to hear the thoughts of others on these default window controls.

Thanks,
Steven Garrity