Re: Plans for 2.8 - GNOME Managed Language Services?

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 12:20:03PM -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Hello,

  Hi Miguel :-)

> Daniel, the ECMA components are RAND + Royalty Free.

  Miguel, I trust you, but I would feel way better seing this posted
by a Microsoft spokeperson.

> But lets not waste our time on this discussion on the mailing list, for

  I don't think it's a waste, part of the community still feel unsure
about using Mono core, which is precisely the subset we might be using
to bind various languages to our platform. Isn't that an important matter
to the project ?

> legal matters, you should get legal counsel.  Have your lawyers engage
> Microsoft on this topic, that is the only way of getting a solid answer.

  Well I said "as a free software/OSS developper", not "as a developper
for company X Y or Z". If the developpers can't get a firm information
without going though lawyers, I will not use C#. Because in this community
the trust is at the people level, not at the company level. I certainly
don't have lawyers myself, and assuming something goes wrong I doubt any
company will stand up to defend individual contributors to the project.
  Let's be clear that that I do not represent Red Hat when I speak.
Remember too that I have seen the trouble of the Kaffe project back in
97 when trying to reimplement Java-1.0/1.1 , I learned the lesson,
I would feel far better using a language defined at a standard level,
but I also need the insurance that doing so won't be a lost effort due
to some patent issues.

> A few corrections: it was not a message posted `3 years ago', it was
> posted `1 year and 40 days ago', and the employee is the Microsoft

I though it was 2001 on the timestamp of the mail I read a couple of weeks
ago, sorry about this. This is still more than one year ago.

> liaison to ECMA CLI and happens to head the .NET CLR group.

  Can you get him or another rep to repost the same statement in the
present tense ? That would help me and probably others on this issue,

  thanks,

Daniel