Re: [Easytag-mailing] tagging classical music flac files

Hello Daniel,

and what you would do about it. It seems as if the predefined tags don't ever consider classical music.

It appears that you are right in that most tagging software and music players are geared towards pop music and the existing tags do not lend themselves to classical music. Some people try to bend to the pop-world rules an say you have to re-use this tag as that etc, but I do not want to do that. Technology should bend to our needs, not the other way round.

In essence I see three aspects: First, ripping of CDs into flac files. Second, define sensible views. And third define a tag model that allows for various meaningful representations. The first bit is easy. The second bit contains perhaps some input for the third.

As I mentioned before, for very "buzy" composers, like Bach, it would be nice to have a view that allows three-four levels. Other composers can do with fewer levels.

And then there is the aspect of multiple performers. I have Milhaud's Le boeuf sur le toit once with Karajan, and another one with Guidon Kremer. I have all Beethoven sonatas with Brendel, and a few with Giles. It should then be possible to have two views:

Performer view:

PERF.	COMP.	TYPE	WORK	TITLE
Giles
	Beethoven
		Piano Sonatas
			Sonata no.8
				1. Grave -...
				2. :
Brendel
	Beethoven
		Piano Sonatas
			Sonata no.8
				1. Grave -...
				2. :

Composer view:

COMP.	TYPE	WORK	PERF.	TITLE
Beethoven
	Piano Sonatas
		Sonata No.32
                	1. Maestoso - ...
                	2. :
		Sonata no.8
			Giles
				1. Grave -...
				2. :
			Brendel
				1. Grave -...
				2. :

The viewer now needs to be clever, because the hierarchy would depend on whether there are multiple performers of the WORK (assuming that performers do in general perform a complete work, with the exception of "best of classical" collections). But then, what about a performer like Brendel playing with different orchestras (note: last performance of Brendel ever will be in Vienna this winter).

The core question is: what tags are required and what should go where in order to create the views I would like to get also provided, that the music player is capable of generating the views?

Regards,
peter