Re: GNOME Logo Font

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 20:24 -0300, Steven Garrity wrote:
Máirín Duffy wrote:
Here are different variations of it using vera:
http://www.linuxgrrl.com/gnome-logos/

While Vera is a good free font, it was not designed as a logo-type font.
Rather (I would imagine), it was designed to be a good general-purpose
screen and print front, similar to Verdana/Georgia from Microsoft.

Yep, although Trebuchet is technically in the same class [1]. (Although
I agree it does have a lot more personality than the others.)

I'm not sure we should be making changes to a coherent design element
(the current Gnome logo with wordmark) based on licensing issues.

Is it really a problem to have a proprietary font in the Gnome logo? In
the versions of the logo available in the wiki, the text element has
been converted to curves, so now it's really just SVG shapes.

Well, the reason I brought up the availability of Trebuchet at all is
that I'm in the process of developing some branding guidelines for the
GNOME logo, and I wanted to provide a template for creating GNOME
project logos (e.g., a logo for the GNOME Documentation project or Gnome
Women, etc.) where the project's name would be displayed underneath the
GNOME, in non-bold Trebuchet. (Logos just look more consistent when all
of the type elements use the same font.)

However, if Trebuchet is difficult to come by then I have a feeling the
guidelines won't be followed. Besides that, if Trebuchet is *the* GNOME
font, then wouldn't we want to use the font for poster headlines, etc.?

A solution may be to find a more open secondary font to fill the above
roles and just leave Trebuchet for the "GNOME" letters.

~m

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/fonts/trebuche/default.htm