Re: BSD license vs. Evolution assigment (was Re: Copyright assignment)

On tor, 2004-08-05 at 14:59 +0200, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Yesterday at 22:20, Elijah P. Newren wrote (on d-d-l):

Hi,

> >> With all due respect - but this is UTTER TOTAL CRACK. The situation between
> >> a project that is based on BSD / MIT licence (like say libxml unless i'm
> >> misremembering what Daniel did with the licencing situation) and a copyright
> >> assignment giving a way for proprietary versions of code are entirely different.
> >
> > Entirely different?  No, it isn't.  I admit that there is one difference
> > (anyone can make the BSD code proprietary, whereas only one entity can
> > make the code proprietary with copyright assignment).
>
> In a sense, this is exactly the point.  With BSD-licensed code, you
> get a sense of trust — there's no single "privileged" entity, so the
> company who contributed most tells you that you're as good as they
> are: you can make *their* code proprietary, in the same way they can
> make yours.  So, there's a symmetry.

Except there isn't a symmetry in who has written the code. I don't know
any hard number for Evolution but Ximian/Novell has spent large amount
of money on getting this software built. There is a big difference
between spending a few hour at one time or a couple of time and to
support the software with several developers several years.

Imho there is nothing wrong with Novell/Ximian wanting to keep copyright
of there own software. And I don't understand the arguing that it's
better if anyone (not even contributor) can come and make a proprietary
product out of the software than the chance of the company spending the
money to develop the product.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal