Re: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 01:14 +0200, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:57:29PM +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > Novell's conditions are stated. They just aren't proper for a gnome
> > module. They limit contribution to those who accept it.
> The FSF limits contribution in a similar way. The conditions are different,
> but not perfect either.

They are not perfect because they exist.
They exist because they have to uphold the freedom of users.
They promise to do so. What does Novell promise? The it wants to be able
to incorporate on other programs under a proprietary license.

> It stands for a project that accepts contributions only from people
> who give FSF the permission to distribute their work using whatever
> license FSF chooses (under some quite severe constraints), knowing
> that the FSF can choose licenses they don't like (as has happened
> with the GFDL).

The GFDL issue can be attributed to people who have comprehension
problems. Like those who believe these Ximian/Novell lawyer lies in the
copyright assignment.

> > No, I can't. Only with a fork and I doubt there are currently resources
> > interested in maintaining a worthwile fork of Evolution.
> The egcs fork looks like a relevant example for this.

Actually, no. Most evolution developers, specially those who have a
strong understanding over the design of the software, are Novell
employees.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?