Re: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 13:07 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 11:32, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> Instead you chose to do what you have done all along in this thread -
> accuse people of only seeing the legal side, saying that you look at it
> from the moral side, but providing ZERO backup on why it is immoral.

I've said it more than once. It's immoral to pretend to be a Free
Software project just to be able to take Free Software code into
proprietary software. Specially because you developers _have_ to sign
that copyright assignment to participate in the community.

> > > All you've said up to now in this thread to anyone you replied is "you
> > > are wrong".
> >
> > That's a lie. It's the oppposite. I've gone to great lengths explaining
> > the problem, and most of the answers are that "I'm wrong".
>
> No, you haven't.  You hide yourself behind a concept of morality of the
> GPL but you don't back it up.

It's not "a concept of morality" the purpose of the GPL is keeping
software Free. Ximian/Novel are just using a way to make non-Free GPL'ed
software: by owning all copyrights.

If they don't want to be a part of a community, that's fine. It's their
choice. If they want to be a part of the community, the way they're
doing it is immoral.

> > >   You have given no real explanation to why these people are
> > > wrong.
> >
> > That's a lie.
>
> Again, you call something a lie and you don't back it up.

You're accusing me of things that are not true. My back up is the whole
thread. What's yours? Point to a mail where I don't explain so.

> > >   You claim you have some deeper knowledge about the GPL's letter,
> > > but also about its spirit, and even what it should have said in an ideal
> > > world.
> >
> > That's a lie.
>
> Back it up.

You back it up, mister. Where have I claimed it? Answer: I haven't.
Conclusion: you lie.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?