Re: Ubuntu 4.10 Preview includes GNOME 2.8

    We only support 100% Free software. However, we have made some
    binary-only, unsupported hardware drivers available in our
    'restricted' software archive.  We call it 'restricted' because we
    do not want to encourage our users to use software (or hardware!)
    that restricts their freedoms.

This is better than what most GNU/Linux distributions do, but Ubuntu
is not (practically speaking) 100% free software as long as those
drivers are distributed with it.