Re: [gedit-list] pdflatex

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 21:42 +0200, Steve Fr�naux wrote:

> $ evince ${GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME%.tex}.pdf

Yes, that is much more like the syntax I would expect from using other
editors, thank you. Where should I have looked to find instruction?

> You can also have a look at the rubber package, which handles all this
> by itself. Then, rubber --pdf $file and rubber --clean $file will do.

Fabulous! The rubber --clean $file works fine but rubber --pdf $file in
the external tools brings the error:

pdflatex not found

It runs fine from the terminal. Something about my TeXLive installation
is keeping gedit from seeing it. Remember your suggestion

source ~/.bashrc

did not work either even though I have the line

PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux:$PATH; export PATH

at the end of .bashrc

Ubuntu relies on sudo a lot and installing TeXLive required care in
acknowledging that, plus I had to chown to me the TL files to make
maintenance easier. This may have some impact on these PATH issues but I
am ignorant on this point. You and Paolo mentioned a prefix that might
be present, but again, I do not have the skill to know.

Nonetheless, gedit is now a useful front-end for most of my *teXing
needs although I haven't tried to build a bibliography yet...and line
commenting would be good...and is there a block mode?...and pretty soon
we're talking a full *Tex specific plug-in like Michael Zeising and
Marciano Siniscalchi are working on. However, I am delighted to have a
certain level of control with simplicity thanks to your help.

I will look for ways to contribute to gnome as it seems a very fine
place.

Cheers and Pax,

John