Re: Getting libgnome* into shape

iain <iain ximian com> writes:
> On Wed, 2001-08-29 at 10:25, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:
> > > You added an explicit GConf dependency to all GNOME 2 applications -
> > > that's different to the implicit dependency through bonobo-config
> > > which we had before.
> >
> > GConf is required as backend for all GNOME 2 desktop apps. Otherwise
> > they won't integrate properly from a sysadmin standpoint.  Bonobo-conf
> > can't be used in non-wrapper mode for GNOME 2.
>
> But if we leave gnome_config_* in then they won't integrate either.

I'm not arguing either way about gnome_config_, my perception of the
difference is that gnome_config_ is intended for e.g. apps that want
to migrate their old configuration, or gdm which is a system daemon so
should not use gconf, etc. gnome_config_* should not be used for user
preferences ideally, though I don't know if the porting job will be
fully complete for GNOME 2.

Havoc