Re: "About" (Re: gcalc docs (unfinished))

Telsa Gwynne <hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 05:05:03PM -0500 or thereabouts, Dan Mueth wrote:

> > No.  It sounds strange(IMO).

Thanks for confirming, Dan ;)

> I have been told that Windows has "About" boxes, so perhaps it's
> a carry-over from there? In that case, it will make sense to people
> familiar with that.

We thought about that arguement, too -- it has some value.  But since
one goal of the GNOME Project is to do it better than "they" we should
be allowed to drop "About..." (in the long run, GNOME 3.0?).

> If "Info" makes more sense in German, cool. Only disadvantage I can
> see is that people familiar with unix may think it's going to bring
> up documentation in texinfo format.  (There's always _something_ :))

That's a nice point :) Hopefully the bubble help/tooltip/status line and
the accompanying menu icon coming with "GNOME_STOCK_MENU_ABOUT" will
help to minimi[sz]e the confusion:

static GnomeUIInfo helpMenu[] = {

        GNOMEUIINFO_ITEM_STOCK(N_("Help on control-center"), N_("Help with the GNOME control-center."),
                               help_callback, GNOME_STOCK_PIXMAP_HELP),
        GNOMEUIINFO_ITEM_STOCK("", N_("Help with the current configuration page."),
                               NULL, GNOME_STOCK_PIXMAP_HELP),
        GNOMEUIINFO_SEPARATOR,
        GNOMEUIINFO_ITEM_STOCK(N_("About"), N_("About the GNOME control-center."),
                               about_callback, GNOME_STOCK_MENU_ABOUT),

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |          ------    ,__o