Re: Testing & A Suggestion :)

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 11:40:59PM +0100, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:

> My sister is a newbie and copied some ideas from me, and discovered
> others alone. Of course, she has someone that shows that she can put
> things in different places, and can explain her how, and she is
> curious like me. :]

You can't base anything one case :) But it's good to hear your can
teach others to use it :) Spread the word of Linux through being a
missionary :) Heh, please don't take that seriously.

> Yes, most times I think newbies just need to see things and they start
> to do their own, I have seen it with my sister and some users at
> Univ. I think they have crossed the line where they realize that they
> can change things, not like in other OSs that are limited. But
> defaults should be nice if advanced can change them, anyway.

but Wouldn't it be great if you could just sit down and figure it out?
Actually, the question I'm thinking is: Is windows really all that
simple? Can people learn it that easily? Or, is it just that it's so
incredibly common, that most anyone knows how to navigate through MS
os's because they are so simple? (It's an impossible/tough question to
prove: you have to get computer 'virgins' to try each GUI)

> > Yeah - it's a royal pain for having lots of NS's - but how do you
> > propose to fix this?
> > 	Change the windowing system, or change the indexing system? We
> > can't really do the first (can we?) so improving the indexing is good
> > for me.
>
> It is a problem I never found the right solution. Some kind of
> indexing seems to be the obvious, but how?
>
> By letter? Some windows change title a lot (NS, xterms if you use the
> title trick), others never (gkrellm), others clone the title ad
> infinitum (some web forums just say "Post" instead of "Post about
> Foobar", ie).
>
> By launch time? Not bad, you always know who is the new one, but they
> also change position as soon as you close some windows and open some
> new more.
>
> By last used? Not bad either. I think that when changing windows via
> keyboard it works cos it reduces key hits, but I dunno if it can apply
> here, cos it will reorder menu a lot which seems to be a bad idea.
>
> I guess the launch time is one of the less bad options. More ideas?
>
> BTW, IIRC, last Sawfish versions allow you to decide it you want
> unique names, but maybe it could be set in default configs to help a
> bit.

This is what the idea was for - making a flat 'index' into a tree
'index' was what I was all on about :) OTher than that - I can't see
any clearly better options than ye olde random? What does the current
tasklist index by?

> The number whould be pretty fine with a "x" (plus the same widget used
> for drop down items? be it arrow, square or whatever, so it matches
> the rest of widgets and user sees clearly that it is a selector), for
> example "Netscape x8" and when you click you see the list of 8 windows
> and "Netscape x8" becomes the title or footer (varies about where the
> screen edge is) saying "Netscape - 8 items" separated with a separator
> from real items.
>
> For example for panel on top or side top (they are painted towards
> bottom):
>
> Netscape - 8 items
> ------------------------------ (separator)
> themes.org - find themes for X
> gnome.org official site
>
> For panels in bottom or side bottom (painted towards top):
>
> themes.org - find themes for X
> gnome.org official site
> ------------------------------ (separator)
> Netscape - 8 items
>
> ["......" are the other 6 entries, one per line]
>
> Another detail: if a Netscape window has focus, the buttons should be
> pressed, be it in multimode or single mode, and if in multimode, the
> active item should be marked with some kind of mark (asterisk like in
> sawfish window menu?) but not play again the grayed / full colour or
> normal / highlighted games again, that is for other things, and we do
> not want to confuse users, but help find things.

Loving it :) But I don't know about the 'pressed bit' - too many
colours spoil the broth. We'll see. the rest of what you've written I
agree with wholeharedly :)

> Wrong mail, he did the icons, not the code. And now that you are also
> trying to contact the coders, please tell them that the task list
> should follow the defaults like other apps, it ignores the "show icons
> in menus" settings (those icons are Tigert's) while most of apps
> do. :]

Oops - fixed, and sent to the right gentleman. He hasn't replied yet
though :)